Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2018

setting things straight

I think the word nationalism has fallen into disrepute by its association with white nationalism.  Trump's reluctance to come out against white nationalist types has led some (me among them) to feel that he doesn't mind having their support at all.  I don't see internationalism as wanting to control more people.  I think it means getting along with other nations.

It was a pretty simple quiz,  I think the startling fact is that so many people failed to get them all correct.  A carton of cigs in Chicago would cost about a hundred and fifty bucks.  Most of the cost of cigs and booze is taxes.  I take it Beagles is in favor of legalizing marijuana because that would allow the gov to tax it.  Fair enough, one of the selling points of legalization is the tax money it would bring into the state coffers.

I think Old Dog would do well to wait for more information to come out about those pipe bombs.  Occam's razor would favor the explanation that the guy was a lousy bomb maker.

I would assume that when Old Dog speaks of the online media doing a good job of bringing us news he is referring to certain sources and not the whole spectrum of online media.  Back in the days before breaking news, we would get our information when the paper hit our doorstop or when the six o'clock news came on.  Is it some kind of advantage to know instantly what is going on right this minute?  When the news comes in in dribs and drabs and no story is ever complete?  Is it necessary to know about the pipe bomber at 3 PM rather than when the six o'clock news came on with a more complete story?


I read the wiki story on the Caravan, and it did not leave me quaking in my boots.  This caravan seems to be bigger than most, but a major reason for that is Trump trumping about  it.  I do find it unnerving to hear that Beagles is afraid that our soldiers will not shoot women and children.  As a former hippie and a consumer of a lot of news and books I am unfamiliar with this "chicks up front " thing.  This is the first I've heard of it, and a short google search brings up nothing.

Social security and medicare are not rapidly running out of money.  What Mitch and Paul want to do is take away their money in order to plug the hole in the budget they left when slashed the taxes on the rich, who paid a lot of money on their behalf to get them elected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment