Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2018

Chicks Up Front!

This just in:
"Military personnel are legally prohibited from engaging in immigration enforcement. The troops will include military police, combat engineers and others helping on the border.
The troops are expected to perform a wide variety of functions such as transporting supplies for the Border Patrol, but not engage directly with migrants seeking to cross the border, officials said."
https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBP2T4Z?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare
This is news to me, and it's not good news either.  The Caravan people will easily outnumber the Border Patrol agents.  So are the soldiers supposed to just step aside and let them pass?

  This story comes from my sister, but I don't remember if she told it to me directly or if my parents told me about it later.  My sister and one of her female friends from school were marching in the protest at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago when the crowd started chanting "Chicks up front!"  One of the leaders, recognizable by the red arm band he was wearing, told them that means the men are supposed to step aside and let the ladies move to the front of the procession. My sister asked him what the purpose of this tactic was, and the leader told her that they were trying to provoke the police to violence, and it would gain the protesters more public sympathy if anyone that might be killed or injured was a female.  I seem to remember previously reading about the "Chicks up front" tactic, so I was not as surprised to hear about it as my sister was.  I am surprised, however, that Uncle Ken has no memory of it, but I suppose a certain amount of memory loss is normal at our age.

I have heard about the alleged plans that the GOP has to raid Social Security and Medicare to replace the revenue that was lost due to the recent tax cuts, but I don't think that's possible.  It is my understanding that Social Security and Medicare are "off budget" agencies.  They are supposed to be funded by payroll taxes that are earmarked for that specific purpose.  When I was working for a living, the deductions for Social Security and Medicare were indeed listed separately from the income tax withholding on my paycheck stubs.  It is also my understanding that most of the money in these two funds is invested in government bonds, so it's already been loaned out.  As for the funds running out of money, people have been crying about that for as long as I can remember.  Of course, crying people are not always reliable sources, but I used to hear the same story from the Social Security Administration itself.  For several years before I started drawing it, they used to send me an annual statement of the credits in my account.  The introduction to this statement told how many years before the fund would run out of money if Congress didn't do something about it.  I don't remember how many years, and I suppose it changed from year to year, but I seem to remember that it was within my projected life time.


No comments:

Post a Comment