Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Convoy or Caravan?

Last I heard, our local media was calling it a convoy but, in deference to my esteemed colleagues, I will henceforth call it a caravan.  I think, however, that we should capitalize it so that we know which Caravan we are talking about.  I might have heard something about the Caravan before, but it was when they surged across the border into Mexico that I started paying attention to the saga.  I believe that I was the first one to bring the subject up at the Institute, after waiting a few days for my colleagues to mention it, so I don't think I should be accused of not giving the story the attention that it deserves.

"The reason the immigrants/refugees in Europe kept pushing instead of being processed orderly in the first country they reached was because the first country you were processed in became the place they stayed and most of them wanted to end up in France rather than Greece." - Uncle Ken
It is my understanding that most of the EU member states have an agreement that allows people to cross their borders without a passport or anything like that so, once an immigrant is accepted into any one of those countries, he has easy access to all the rest of them.  This was one of the main reasons for the Brexit vote a few years ago.  Last I heard, there were a substantial number of Brits who wanted to reconsider but, so far, their prime minister has no plans to schedule a do-over vote.

Whether or not blood will be shed over this Caravan depends on what they do when they get here, and what, if anything, our government does about it.  If they disperse and sneak across the border at multiple points, many of them will likely get away with it but, if they try to break through in a big mob like they did in Mexico, I expect they will meet forcible resistance.  If our government is unable or unwilling to stop them, then our citizens will have to take the law into their own hands.  We are certainly not going to allow a rampaging mob to over run our country.  I don't know what part our existing Hispanic community might play in this.  Specifically, will the legals side with us or with their illegal brethren?  Either way, like I said, it's not going to be pretty.




No comments:

Post a Comment