Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Make mine mink

There is something vaguely familiar about that "chicks in front" line but I can't put my finger on it, like it was something said in passing and only heard in certain circles.  As much as we rely on Google and other sources for information there are things that slip between the cracks, items that may remain forever hidden or forgotten.  If an idea or event was never part of a written or other record it will never find itself in the vast databases we use every day, at least until Google starts reading our minds.

-----

Is it some kind of advantage to know instantly what is going on right this minute?  When the news comes in in dribs and drabs and no story is ever complete?


No, and it seems like a disadvantage to me.  We've become addicted to the news, at least some of us, and that's the way it is these days.  And since we are more adept at generating information than analyzing it we become befuddled and we shouldn't forget that much of the information we ingest is nothing more than noise, in my opinion.

I remain leery of the nutball bomber story for a couple of reasons, not all of them strong.  The use of PVC pipe, for instance.  I suppose it will work to some extent but pipe bombs have traditionally been fabricated using steel or iron pipe; maybe he was trying to save money on postage.  The thing that baffles me the most is that none, not one, actually worked.  If you are as committed to the idea of blowing shit up as this guy seems to have been don't you do a little testing, just to see if those plans from the internet actually work?  I can't put myself into the mind of that guy but it seems to me the failure was intentional, for reasons yet to be determined.  Well, he got everybody's attention, that's for sure.

-----

I know Mr. Beagles appreciates wildlife and I found a story he might enjoy.  There's a guy in Utah that has learned to train minks for hunting and has even created a new sport called minkenry.  He's been doing it for quite a few years now with a good degree of success, even selling some his minks for the purpose of catching muskrats and brown rats, among other critters, even fish if you can believe the videos.  The most interesting thing for me is how he uses their natural behavior to train them; they respond well to vocal and audible commands.  It's weird as hell to see his two year-old daughter playing with a goddam mink.  No links this time; I'll let Mr. Beagles follow up on his own but I think he'll enjoy learning about it.  This could be an out of the box solution to urban rat control especially if you have a couple of dogs to help speed things along.



No comments:

Post a Comment