Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Russia vs. Japan?

"...he had such a good time that now I'm taking him to Disney World."

You had me going there, Mr. Beagles.  If I hadn't already heard a very similar story I could almost have believed you.  Almost.  This kind of tale falls under the label of what is now referred to as "dad jokes," the form of humor that makes children roll their eyes in embarrassment at the parent, especially when told in front of their friends.  "Dad, I'm hungry!  Hi, Hungry.  I'm Dad!."  Keep 'em coming!

-----

The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! was a movie very much of it's time.  I watched it sometime in the past year or so to see how well it held up and I thought it was kind of silly but not bad at all.  I forgot about the stellar cast which included Carl Reiner and Jonathan Winters and when I saw it in a theater there were plenty of laughs from the audience, the biggest for the scenes of the guy chasing the horse in the field.  That was a gentler and kinder time, the Cold War notwithstanding.  The bad guys turned out to be pretty decent once it came down to saving a child in peril.

There is one thing about the Russians in WW2 that I've heard somewhere but cannot verify at this time   After the Russians were done kicking German ass Stalin was all set to go after Japan; lot of bad blood between Russia and Japan.  But such an action would not have been in the best interests of the US so the decision was made to drop those nukes in a not so veiled attempt to tell Stalin to back off and acknowledge that there was a new sheriff in town, a new top dog.  The standard explanation is that the nukes were used to avoid a costly and prolonged invasion of the Japanese homeland, and that was certainly a factor but since Japan was essentially finished it was only a matter of time.  Keeping Stalin in line was more important.  This theory may be hogwash but I have to give it some credence.  My father was with a bomber group in the Pacific and he believed there was no reason to drop those nukes; it was over.  He never mentioned any Russkies, though.  I wonder what the Russian history books have to say about the war in the Pacific, maybe I should look it up unless you guys have something to say about it.

-----

While wandering down memory lane, thinking of my time spent in more rural pursuits, I remembered something.  Someone among my country cousins knew how to yodel, just like Roy Rogers and the other singing cowboys.  Wish I could remember who it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment