Search This Blog

Thursday, September 28, 2017

we are them and that's what makes America

What was that that Tonto was quoted on lately?  I believe I am one of the newer lower-case them.  I am pretty much a democrat, even if I don't carry a card, I was a ward committeeman thirty or so years ago.  I am a member of the condo social committee.  Hum I am not as much of a joiner as I thought I was.  But anyway this vision of America crawling with these lower-case thems (let's call them lct's) seems to me just what our founding father's intended, it looks like democracy to me.  Aren't you supposed to get involved?  Aren't you supposed to work for what you think is right?

Well it's not like for instance, the Social Committee of Marina City (SOCOM) wants to take over the world, but we would like the Board of Directors to give us lots of money for our budget and not bow to those lawyers every time we want to do something that is fun.  And the Board of Directors doesn't want to run the city, but they would like tax breaks or whatever.  And the city doesn't want to run the state, oh wait, it does.  Well all analogies break down somewhere. 

Most lcts just want this and that, but to get that they have to have power, and to get power you may sometimes have to make a deal that isn't necessarily part of your original mission, and as you gain power you get to like the taste of it, and then maybe you forget what brought you to the dance.  When I was ward committeeman if you asked me if I wanted to be president I would have said no.  But maybe I would have liked to be alderman, and if I did become alderman I still would not want to be president, but that mayoral sash sure would look swell around my waist.  And so on and so on and doobie doobie do on.

Wasn't Beagles once a card carrying Bircher and didn't that NRA card once shine in his wallet ?  Doesn't that make him an lct?  I don't see where  Beagles draws the line where he is sure that are not  them, and they are not us.  It all sounds like my former hero, Slick Willie, asking, much like the early Greek philosophers, what is the meaning of is.

I'm not sure who the imperialists were in WW II.  England and France had colonies, but then so did Germany and Italy on the other side, and Spain and Portugal who were not involved, and we were still hanging on to Cuba and some of those tiny Pacific islands that we still hold.  Japan was a big colonizer at the time, but I think they are generally lumped in with the fascists. 

Occam'r razor tells me that WW II was not a war of ideologies, it was a war of countries,  Each one was doing what it had to do for it's own national interests.  It is ever that way when it comes to war.  Stalin didn't turn on us, he was never with us, just as we were never with him, it only served our national interests as long as we were both fighting Germany.

There are many reasons those wars turned out the ways they did, and the idea that the reason is that US prez's always surrender to commies is ludicrous. (Why?  Why?  What is their motivation?).

If South Vietnam was never ours, how could we have given it away?  What would Beagles have done as prez to win that war when all those soldier's lives and all that bombing had come to naught?  More of the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment