Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

But still the best

Maybe it's an "out of sight, out of mind" type of thing, but I completely forgot about The Good Place, one of the few newer shows on network TV that I found worthwhile.  Except for the news and some sports events my viewing consists of watching the oldies that are now available.  Mostly the classics, but also some shows that I didn't pay attention to when they originally aired.  Alf has a perverse appeal which I can't explain.

But I'll hold off on watching The Good Place until they are three or four episodes into the season and then I'll binge.  The site I use is http://mycouchtuner.ag/ , which has loads of shows available.  It can be a little tricky to figure out, depending on how your browser is set up with ad blockers, but I think it's worth it.  The site itself has no content; everything is redirected to sites that have the actual files so there may be some pop up windows that you have to close.  Since I don't have cable I've been able to view the complete runs of cable content like Deadwood, The Sopranos, The Wire, and Veep; all good in my opinion.  There are some British shows available, too, so it's been a good deal for me.

-----

And another thing is we are a nation of hotheads.


I don't think so, Uncle Ken.  What has been happening is the residual effect of the delusion of Manifest Destiny from the 19th century.  Our shit don't stink, and if we want something we take it, and that's that.  We are a schizoid nation with the ideals of the Founding Fathers on one side and rampant greed on the other side.  If there are natural resource to exploit or territory that can provide us a strategic advantage, we will meddle with local governments until we get what we want.  I don't know exactly what happened after WWII but we have gone from being the savior of freedom to a bully.  We act like we single-handedly saved the world from tyranny but that is not the case, and today we like fighting in other countries while we've been ignoring or giving short shrift to domestic issues like education, the homeless, crime prevention, and the list goes on.  The political hacks like to complain about the lack of human rights in other countries while we are still dicking around with egregious flaws in our own voter registration laws.  The US has been doing a terrible job of making friends overseas and, with the current administration, many of our so-called allies are starting to give us the stink-eye.  I'm waiting for some nations to start pulling out of NATO and striking out on their own paths.  Ah, but I'm rambling...again.

-----

I've asked Uncle Ken about this before, and even if I'm getting accustomed to it I still don't know why he adds the letter 't' to the Institute's name.  Beaglestonia?  I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment