Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The Slippery Slope

I suppose that Uncle Ken is right about the "slippery slope" argument being fallacious, but that doesn't mean we should venture down every slippery slope we encounter. At my age, and with my back, I try to avoid all slippery slopes on general principles. Furthermore, I think that an obstacle to compromise can be a good thing. When you compromise, you give up part of what you want. The only valid reason to do that is if giving up part of what you want will get you part of something else you want. If, however, you already have what you want, and you don't want anything the other guy has, why would you want to compromise? All that would accomplish is to give the other guy part of what he wants, which is probably something that he shouldn't have anyway.

I suppose the government needs to be involved in marriage because of the inheritance thing. If a guy dies without writing a will in Michigan, all his stuff automatically goes to his surviving spouse. The first time I read that, I thought it only applied to people who died on the interstate, but I came to find out the word is "intestate" not "interstate". That is just a legal term, probably Latin, that means you die without leaving a will. As near as I can tell, it has nothing to do with testicles either, so I suppose it applies to women as well as men, as it should. Now it must also apply to gays and other gender benders, which it probably shouldn't. I don't know why people have to be like that anyway. Why can't everybody just be normal like me?

As I understand it, that bathroom thing was just another one of Obama's executive orders that Trump has un-ordered. It wouldn't have been so bad if all it said was that people can use any bathroom they want, but it also said that schools and other public places had to make special accommodations for those people, like providing a third bathroom for people who weren't sure what they were. I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world, but who needs it? It's like some famous guy once said, "When there is no need to change, there is a need not to change."

If you click on "comments" on the left border of the screen, it will take you to all the comments that have ever been posted on our site. The first two comments are the most recent, and those are the ones I'm talking about. One was posted yesterday, and the other one was posted last May. As near as I can tell, that Unicode thing "&#39" does not appear in our posts, or in the few comments that follow our posts, just in the comments as they are displayed on the "comments" page.  I suppose it doesn't matter because nobody reads that page anyway, but it still ain't right.


No comments:

Post a Comment