Search This Blog

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Jose, can you see?

Occam's Razor is a nice concept and it's too bad it doesn't work all the time; life would be much simpler.  It always reminds me of Alexander the Great and the Gordian Knot, a good example of  thinking outside the box.  You want that knot untied?  Hold my goblet while I go and get my sword...problem solved.

-----

My pet application of Occam's Razor is to apply the "follow the money" rule.  Influence of the Russians in the past election?  Follow the money.  Military interventions overseas?  Follow the money.  Screwy national health policies?  Follow the money.  Lying media and political shenanigans?  Follow the money.  Cold hard cash seems to be at the bottom of a lot of our current dilemmas and I don't know if folks are simply greedy or just keeping score.  Seems to me that things are getting a little our of hand.

-----

Since there doesn't seem to be much weather news lately it looks like the latest flap involves athletes kneeling during the National Anthem.  I've got mixed feelings on this one; it isn't like they are giving the finger to the flag but expressing a sentiment other than blind allegiance, which is good, I think. It's certainly got the pols and pundits yapping back and forth and maybe some underlying issues will be addressed, but I don't know what they are.  Is it a race thing, or a general displeasure with the way the political and social ships are sailing?  I could never figure out why the anthem is played before a game, anyhow.  Seems a little creepy, like we all have to get in a patriotic mindset before we can play a game.  It was even weirder in the movie theaters on the army bases when they played the anthem before the feature, and we all stood up with our hands on our hearts, if in civilian clothes.  So the movie Woodstock began with the National Anthem and closed with Jimi Hendrix playing a slightly different version.  Maybe we were supposed to stand up, but didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment