Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

passing inspection

There was some talk when same sex marriage was peeking over the horizon that this would lead to legal polygamy, polyandry, Polly wants a cracker, marrying your bird, or your dog, and whatever.  This was mostly scare talk on the anti side, like oh we better not  let gays marry or all hell would break loose.  I recall Beagle claiming that  it would diminish the sacrament between him and Miss Hypothetically, but last I heard she is still telling him his ideas are crackpot and he is still ignoring her advice and persisting in them.

It was the slippery slope argument which I forthwith claim is stupid.  It consists of going past the issue at hand to something more extreme and then arguing that the latter is terrible and that allowing the former would lead inevitably to the latter and therefore we shouldn't allow the former.

Like saying if we ban sales of assault rifles that will inevitably lead to Old Betsy being pried out of Beagles hands.  Or if we outlaw trimester abortions that will lead to all abortions become illegal.  It's an illogical argument that is an obstacle to compromise, and it's well, stupid.

Every April 15th when we file our taxes we see why the gummint cannot leave marriage alone.  You can marry a couple women or a bird and a dog by the guy with the Universal Life Church certificate or a witch doctor, and the gummint doesn't care, but when it comes to taxes and inheritance and various other things the gummint needs to know who is legally married and who is not..

I didn't catch that "two scoops" reference at first, but like when you get your hand on the doorknob you remember what you have forgotten, as soon as I was typing in the google box I recalled it.  You know there is that test they give to little kids where they give them a marshmallow and tell them if they don't eat it then when the scientist returns he will bring another and they can have two, and as they track the kids in life the kids who held out do much better in the world.  I imagine they just gave Donald two marshmallows to begin with.  

In the unlikely case of the reps doing Trumpendectomy, and somehow throwing in Pence just out of momentum I guess, that gives us Paul Ryan, and if he should slip on a banana peel and meet his maker that gives us Orrin Hatch.  The well is deep.


Like all good American men I live in fear that some woman will sidle up to the urinal next to me. Thank god "Two Scoops"has issued a directive.  One can only hope that it becomes a law, and that if it is a law of course it must be enforced, and to thwart the horde of guys or girls who crossdress to get into the other sexes bathroom there will have to be an inspector at the door of every bathroom and we can expect to pull our pants down or unzip to pass inspection.  A small price to pay to live in the brave new Trumpian world.  

While Old Dog may thank God for the hurricanes washing all the garbage and trash off the street and all the Trump news off the cables, I have felt a distinct void, like no bacon with my sunny side up eggs in the morning.  I have to admit though, that in this quiet time I have reflected on hurly burly and am a bit embarrassed at the excess.  But still, I'll be glad to get back to it again.


I don't get any email notifications from blogspot.  Do you know when these comments were posted, I would like to have a look at them,  Even if they make no sense, I'm used to that.

&#39s is unicode for an apostrophe.  I guess that rules out Question Mark and the Mysterians.

No comments:

Post a Comment