Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2017

Try It, You'll Like It

The first time I called Microsoft Support the guy told me, "Everybody hates Windows 10 at first but, once you get used to it, you'll think it's wonderful." I don't know about that, but I've gotten to the point that I find it tolerable.

After several days of trying to find out what error code 0x80072ee7 means, I tried to download the Windows 10 upgrade again without changing anything, and this time it sailed right through without a hitch. My Outlook mail program still doesn't work, but I have decided to just use my Google mail. They have made some improvements to it since the last time I used it, and I think I can live with it. Everything else seems to be working, although I'm not sure about my printer. I'll have to try that again one of these days. The last time, my computer was having a hard time locating the drivers for my printer, and I got tired of waiting for it and signed off for the night.

The good news is that Windows 10 is the final product, there will never be a Windows 11. Apparently they got tired of hearing all the complaints whenever they came out with a new OS, so now they are going to just update Windows 10 every three or four months. They will send me a notice when a new update becomes available, and I can download it at my convenience. It takes awhile, but I can minimize the display and do other things with my computer while the download is in progress. When the download is complete, however, there is another process where they have to install it, and I can't use my computer or turn it off until that's done. They didn't say I had to sit there and watch it, though, so I went to bed and let the damn thing run. Next day, I didn't notice anything different at first but, the day after that, I got a notice that Windows Defender wanted to do a security scan, I told it to go ahead, and it gave my machine a clean bill of health. Tonight, I was told that I should have firewall. That's a good thing, right? I sure hope so, because I let them give me one. They said that, if I don't like any of this stuff, I can always uninstall it.

I hadn't been able to get my photo program to work, but my daughter told me another way to access it, and that seems to work just fine. That's probably the way I was supposed to do it on my old computer, but I never figured it out and stumbled onto a different way. When I first got into computers at work, back in the 80s, they told us that a computer only knows one way to do something and, if you don't ask it just right, it won't know what you're talking about. Nowadays, it seems like the damn thing can read your mind. Sometimes it knows what I want better than I do, and tells me so. The spooky thing is that it's usually right.

I think "yellow beer" is a term that I made up. I seem to remember being at my daughter's once, and she offered my several kinds of exotic designer brews. "Do you have any regular yellow beer?", I asked. She said, "Not really, but this one is pretty close." It wasn't, but there's no such thing as bad beer, and free beer is the best kind of all.

Lack of snow shouldn't hurt the moisture content of your soil, provided that you get enough rain to make up for it. They worry about it in California because their municipal water reservoirs are largely filled by mountain snow that melts in the spring. Last I heard, it looked like they were going to have plenty of that this year. Lack of snow cover can hurt crops that are already in the ground like winter wheat because the snow insulates the ground, preventing it from thawing and refreezing numerous times. Crops that haven't been planted yet should be alright, again, provided there is enough rain during the growing season. Fruit trees can be impacted if spring starts early and then reverts back to winter. What happens is the tree thinks it's time to put out buds which, at this stage, are vulnerable to freezing. Come to think of it, that's probably the origin of the phrase, "nip it in the bud". If the frost nips the blossom in the bud, that blossom won't develop into a fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment