Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2017

An unhappy troll


If Uncle Ken doesn't continue his story through 1985 I will feel cheated, but he is a sly rascal and full of surprises.

-----

Is "yellow beer" another term for the type of lager that is popular in these United States?  I've gone through quite a number of "favorite" beers over the years, drinking them exclusively until I decided to try something else.  I prefer draft instead of bottles/cans but it can be problematic if the lines aren't cleaned regularly or less than perfectly clean glassware is available.  Lipstick smudges on the glass are never a good sign; a rare but not unknown occurrence.

I should go back and revisit some of my old favorites but I think I would get too loopy, too quickly.  The nice thing about Guinness is that it has a reasonably low alcohol content and it's flavor is such that it discourages quick drinking.  It takes time to enjoy a proper pint and I can linger in the tavern without getting wasted, an important factor whether taking public transportation or walking home.

There was supposed to be a merger between the two largest beer  companies, InBev and SAB Miller, last October but I don't know if it went through.  Such mergers don't bother me at all because I think they're going for market penetration and distribution and not the elimination of any breweries.  Your locally produced swill will be more readily available across the globe unless they decided to brew it in more locations which, to me, is a problem.  You can ship hops, malt, and barley across the world with no ill effect but not the water, and water may be the most important ingredient of all.  I should ask the Half Acre guys about the water they use,  whether they do more than simply filter Lake Michigan's finest.

-----

It was a small comfort for me to read that, despite all the yammering, the new regime has done very little.  After five weeks (has it only been that long?) there are still hundreds of cabinet appointments yet to be made and it's all talk, talk, talk.  Well, more accurately, lie, threaten, and complain.  Whatever.  The less they do, the better.

This coming Tuesday #45 is to address both houses of congress, which should be something.  His support isn't rock solid and it would be amusing to see him booed; this could be the toughest crowd he's faced so far.  It will be just him and the teleprompter but I expect him to go off on many tangents, perhaps inspiring an outright rebellion.  I have plenty of popcorn on hand.

-----

Although there have been plenty of failed Kickstarter campaigns, here is one you many find interesting if you haven't seen it yet.  Amazing how far the office of the president has fallen, but it's good for a laugh and would make a fine keepsake.  Go to Kickstarter and search for Chuck Williams; you can't miss it.







No comments:

Post a Comment