Search This Blog

Friday, February 3, 2017

No News is Good News

I don't follow the news as much as you guys do, but I follow it more now than I used to because now I have somebody to discuss it with. My hypothetical wife has little interest in it, and I don't get around much anymore. Truth be known, I've probably got more in common with you guys than I do with most of the people around here. Don't get me wrong, they're mostly nice people, we're just not interested in the same things.

Our local paper has changed ownership several times since I moved here in 1967. They once had an editor who was interested in printing columns from local people. I gave him some samples of my work, he said they were good, then the paper changed hands again and I never heard anymore about it. Not long after that I got my first computer and posted some stuff on my very own website, but nobody read it. I ventured out into social media to publicize my site and found it was easier to post on other people's sites than to persuade other people to come over to my site. The trouble with other people's sites was that they tended to go out of business after I was on them for awhile. Then I met my old high school buddy, Uncle Ken, on Face Book, and the rest is history.

I think we can all agree that Trump is an asshole, but we're stuck with him now. We might as well quit trying to figure out how to get rid of him until the next election, it's not likely to happen. If somebody shoots him, it will just make a martyred hero out of him, and his successor will likely get more of his stuff passed than he could have himself. That's what happened with JFK. Remember? Impeachment is not likely either with the Republicans in control of Congress. Besides, he hasn't done anything to justify impeachment, at least not yet. A big scandal like Watergate might drive him out of office like it did Nixon, but Trump's whole life has been a scandal. I find it hard to imagine anybody digging up some dirt about him that he hasn't bragged about already. That said, I still like many of his proposals, I just wish they were somebody else's proposals.

I occasionally have had dreams in which I seemed to be in control of myself, but I don't recall any recent ones. Sometimes I become aware that I am dreaming when something illogical happens, like when I can't operate a telephone or read. I read somewhere that the part of your brain that controls reading switches off when the part of your brain that controls dreaming switches on so, if you can't read, you're probably dreaming.

I am not particularly fond of chocolate, so vanilla ice cream is fine with me. I have experimented with adding mint extract, but the mint flavor is a bit too intense, even if I only add a quarter teaspoon to the mix. The best luck I have had with additives is fruit preserves. I have tried both cherry and strawberry preserves, and I bought some peach preserves today, and plan to make a batch with it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment