Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2017

CTA romance

SCROTUS is good, turning Dump's 'so-called,' phrase back on him, though a little blue, and all those caps, a little too loud.  I am beginning to wonder however if he is going to skate on this thing.  Everything is in the hands of the reps who, outside of a few hotheads, show no movement to investigate.

I'm sure empirical reality will do just fine.  I used objective mainly to differentiate between subjective which holds something like, well we all have our own reality so who can say which is the true one?

Buttered toast with sugar and cinnamon was a staple of my youth.  I haven't thought of it again until this morning when I read the tale of Old Dog and the Snappy hotties.

Of course now I'll have to trot out my tale of the young lady on the Brown Line.  I'm sure you've heard it before, but I love to tell it and as both dawgs know once Uncle Ken's jaws get to flapping fat chance of stopping them.

It was a soft summer night.  After a night of displaying my wit and my charm at the Ten Cat, I boarded the Brown Line at Irving and opened up my New Yorker for the ride home.  At Addison the noise of giggling and jiving stirred me from my magazine as a group of young folks boarded and took the backward facing seats at the front of the car.  Hmmph, I buried my nose deeper.

So deeply was it buried that I did not hear the young lady approach until she had slipped into the seat next to me, put her arm around me, and said brightly, "Hi, Sweetie."  Well I never, young folks these days, making fun of a distinguished silver-haired gentleman like myself, even deeper went my nose into the magazine.

But as the train ran along, as Addison became Paulina became Southport, I came up for air, we got into chatting, she didn't like to ride backwards, she loved the Cubs, we had that lovable loser conversation that Cubs can now never have again.  We parted amicably.

Later that week I visited my mother and told her the story.  "She was drunk wasn't she?" she replied. At any rate I still had it maybe ten years ago.  

We do have occasional young ladies dropping by the geezers corner of the Ten Cat from time to time, the latest being the punctuation maven, and while I am sure they find us charming none of them has found her way back among their busy schedules.

No comments:

Post a Comment