Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

"Now it's Judy's Turn to Cry"

I am reminded of a couple of songs that were popular when we were kids. I don't know why I remember this, but they were both performed by Leslie Gore. The first song was titled "It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To". In it Leslie bemoans the fact that her boyfriend Johnny left her for another girl, Judy, right in the middle of Leslie's birthday party. The second song celebrated Johnny's change of heart when he dumped Judy and returned to Leslie....."And now it's Judy's turn to cry..."

What, you may ask, has this to do with Donald Trump? Well, I'll tell you. After Obama was elected the first time, there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth about it among the right wing nuts. Although I never voted for the man, I thought that some of this anti-Obama hysteria was unfair and unfounded. "Okay", I though, "so we've got a Black liberal president for four years. It's not the end of the world." It was only when Obama was re-elected that I began to fear it was the end of the world. For some time, there had been talk around the internet that the world was going to end in 2012, and now I was beginning to fear that there was some truth to it. Of course the world didn't end in 2012, unless it did and now we are in The Bad Place and don't know it, but you can't worry about stuff like that too much or it will drive you nuts. You have to get on with your life. Now the worm has turned, the shoe is on the other foot, and it's the left wing nuts who think it's the end of the world. It just goes to show you the the right wing nuts don't have a monopoly on paranoia.

Like I said, I don't like Trump's personality, but I agree with most of his agenda, all except the part about torturing prisoners of war, that's just stupid. It would have been nice if that agenda was being advanced by a better person than Trump, but it's not. I know that you guys are on the opposite end of the political spectrum, but let me get this straight: Do you want to see the country over run by terrorists, drug dealers, and other assorted bad guys? I know you want the illegal Mexicans to stay because they generally vote Democrat. Of course they're not supposed to be voting at all, and maybe they're not, but their kids, being born here, are citizens, and they will grow up and vote before you know it. They shouldn't have been let into the country in the first place, much less been allowed to stay long enough to have kids here, but they were. It may be too late to root them out but, if we can keep more of them from coming in, the old ones will die off eventually. We'll be dead ourselves by then, but maybe we will be able to look down from the Good Place, or up from the Bad Place, and see that we left the country in better shape than we found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment