Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2017

the reasonable response to raising the taxes on tobacco

Okay I've read Beagles's last post three times now, and I may be mistaken (as I was about the English Civil War being primarily a religious war, sorry about, I'm surprised nobody called me on that.), but it seems like the message is that Beagles started calling Opama Yo Mama in retaliation for a raise in the taxes on his cigs?  Not gay marriage?  Not the country-destroying Obama Care?  Not because he feared that Obama would rip Old Betsy from his hands?  But because of a cigarette tax?

Cigarette taxes are funny things, they are passed ostensibly (like Socrates being accused of blasphemy) to protect our health by making them harder to purchase.  There are clean air types who are all for the health angle, but the real reason (like Socrates being an enemy of the state) is to raise revenue.  Googling around I saw where Obama had raised taxes on cigs by sixty cents a pack.  The state of Michigan charges two bucks a pack so shouldn't he be calling some Michigander Yo Mama? But likely the guys who put in that tax are white so I don't think Beagles would be calling them that. I know I said in my last post that I thought my ilk was too quick to call others racist, but in this case I think part of the reason Beagles is calling Obama Yo Mama is because Obama is black.

I don't know if this is what Beagles is referring to, but a few years back these roll your own stores opened up in Illinois and Missouri and I guess the whole country.  The way they worked was you walked in, selected your tobacco, and then their machines would roll like a carton for you, which you would purchase cheap because taxes on roll your own are cheap.  They were basically just a tax scam and when the feds and the state started taxing them nobody was interested in using them anymore.

I guess the reason they tax regular roll your owns less than regular cigs is maybe folks who roll their own are folks of humble economic status, but more likely there is just not much money in it.  I will let Old Dog inform us more about real roll your owns. Rereading Beagles letter I see that he is not talking about Obama raising taxes on regular cigs, but roll your own stuff.  Still it seems a little odd that this was what incensed Beagles into name-calling.


Speaking of Dump, and note here that I am not calling him a redneck or a cracker, how about this:
 http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/02/08/deported-trump-guadalupe-garcia-de-rayo/97678236/

Here is a woman who has been here over ten years, has a couple kids who are US citizens, a husband, and a job.  She was arrested ten years ago in a raid on her workplace and because of that she has been checking in every six months to immigration and now because of Dump's order she is likely being deported to Mexico.  Does this sound like a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment