Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

My Personal Assistant

I called Microsoft support today. This guy had a different accent than Jose, Asian Indian I think, and I could barely understand him, but he was patient with me and gave me some help. He told me there is no "help" program on Windows 10, but there is something better. I now have a personal assistant! Her name is Cortana, and she says that I can ask her anything.  Not just computer stuff either, she can give me weather reports, traffic reports, and lots of other information on a wide range of subjects. After I get to know her better, I plan to invite her join us at the Institute, although she is probably much too busy to do that. She helped me change my screen resolution this evening, so now I can use normal size type. The Indian guy (he told me his name but I didn't get it) taught me how to set my clock without even going into the control panel. He said that everybody hates Windows 10 at first but, after I get used to it, I'll think it's wonderful.

I forgot to answer Old Dog's questions about my old computer yesterday. It was going down on me, first only occasionally, then more and more often. Sometimes my screen would lock up and I would have to shut it down myself and then start it back up again. My last computer did that for awhile, and then it just died and wouldn't start up anymore. I took it to a tech shop, and the guy told me that it was not worth fixing because it was so old, eight years. My second computer is the same age, so I figured it was only a matter of time and put it out of its misery.

I've still got lots to learn about my new one, but I now feel confident that, with Cortana's help, I can do anything if I set my mind to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment