Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2018

Trump Dumps the Bump

I saw on the TV news that Trump has banned bump stocks. I don't think Congress was involved, he just did it by decree like Obama used to do stuff. The more I think about it, though, the law was already there, Trump just told his people to start enforcing it. When you put a bump stock on a semi-automatic rifle, it transforms it into a fully automatic rifle, which is already illegal for civilians to possess. It's like I've said in the past, before they pass any new laws, they should start enforcing the laws that are already on the books.

Another thing that Trump has been up to lately is talking tariffs. At first I thought he had already implemented them, but then I found out that he has only proposed them. The stock market went nuts for a few days, but seems to have pretty much shrugged it off by now. By the time the proposed tariffs are actually implemented, if they are ever actually implemented, most people will have forgotten about it and the news cycle will have moved on. Remember, you heard it first from Talks With Beagles.

Of course posting a few cops or other armed personnel in the schools isn't going to totally solve the problem, but I think it's a step in the right direction. The response time of the SWAT teams is already pretty good, but it only takes a few minutes to kill a bunch of people. Having even one cop already on the premises might save some of those people. I also like the idea of having the cops there to keep an eye on the little angels themselves. I know that I would have felt safer at old Gage Park High if there had been some kind of police presence. Young people account for a disproportionate amount of violent crimes, so it makes sense to post the cops where the young people spend a lot of their time.
Or course there will be some collateral damage if the cops start trading bullets with the bad guys, but I don't think it will be as much as the damage caused by an unopposed active shooter firing at defenseless victims. The sooner this guy is taken down, the sooner the shooting stops.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: A philosopher is a guy who takes something that should be just common sense and makes it incomprehensible to the average person.

No comments:

Post a Comment