Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Chalk One Up For the Good Guys


"Didn't Beagles have a Gage Park teacher who taught him that anecdotal evidence don't mean shit?"

I assume that Uncle Ken is referring to the link that I provided last night. I didn't intend for it to be proof positive of my previous argument, just an interesting story where the good guys won for a change. Come to think of it, my first post on the subject wasn't exactly an argument anyway. It was new information to me, and I thought it might be relevant to the school shooter discussion. Now I find out that Maryland has had school resource officers for the last 20 years. When we had one in Cheboygan, I believe they were calling him a liaison officer, or something like that, but I seem to remember that the folks in Indian River call theirs a resource officer. I thought they invented it, but apparently not. 

Be that as it may, I kind of like the idea. I'm not saying I can prove it like the Pythagorean Theorem, I'm just sayin that the idea appeals to me. I like the idea of arming the teachers too, but I like this one better. The cops already have some of the necessary training. Of course more specialized training will be required, but they would have to train the teachers from the ground up. It just occurred to me that the National Guard might also be a provider of this service. Not the whole National Guard at once, just a local detachment whose members could rotate through the position. I don't know if anybody else has already proposed this, it just now came to me.  

Uncle Ken has expressed the opinion that there is no way to stop these mass shootings, so we shouldn't even try. He wants to ban all repeating firearms, although he doesn't believe that will stop the shooters, just slow them down. Maybe none of the options that have been proposed will work. All that means is we need to keep coming up with new options until one of them works. I am not willing to concede the field to the bad guys. It's like that famous guy said, "The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment