Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Short take

I'm surprised that Old Dawg doesn't want to step into mire of film criticism.

Can you blame me?  I enjoy a much broader range of movies than the Gloomy Gus dramas that Uncle Ken prefers.  Noticeably absent from his list of favorites are comedies, animation, horror, romance, musicals, or the just plain weird and there are fine films in all of those genres.  But I have lowbrow tastes and am forgiving of flaws as long as a film has redeeming virtues such as good acting, good direction, good production values, good writing, or the way the story is told.  Not all of these are required for me to like a movie, and a movie like Hard Boiled works for me because of it's style, which was unique at the time for that kind of movie.  I like Jackie Chan too, but there's still no accounting for taste, is there?

-----

I can only marvel at the melodrama in the White House; nothing like firing your Secretary of State when you're about to start a dialogue with a country like North Korea.  But Trump has the singular ability to fail upwards and will come out on top while everything else is ashes and rubble.  When this is all over he may be the most written about political figure in history; too bad we all have to live through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment