Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2018

movies and philosophers

It seems to me unlikely that much good will come out of putting a cop into the school for an extremely unlikely event while the mean streets of Inland Lake will will have only a two thirds of its constabulary to prevent crime.  I think the students of the school would be better off with the books and teachers and maybe a better building that Beagles regularly votes against them getting rather than having some cop strut through the halls urging them to stay in school and stay off drugs. and to be careful.  .


I'm surprised that Old Dawg doesn't want to step into mire of film criticism.  It seems to me an interesting topic.  I think at one time I had a top ten list of movies, I can recall six of them offhand, Badlands, Fitcarraldo, Apocalypse Now, The Unforgiven, The Last Detail, and Mother.

I thought I made it clear that I don't like pc in the movies so why would I object to the Italian heritage of Godfather?  Oh add Goodfellas to my list.  Actually I like that whole European stereotype thing, French are snobby, English are twitty, Italians are passionate, etc,  Nobody here really discriminates against Europeans, so I don't see the harm and it makes for some good jokes.

I remember a couple good movies that Old Dog recommended to me, the one where the hired gun drinks milk and Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer.


Oh philosophy, there's a topic we don't discuss nearly often enough in the ivied halls.  When I took a course in philosophy each philosopher was given a chapter, maybe twenty pages, and that was quite a bit of stuff to cram into the brain, but then I realized that that was just a distillation of like a dozen books that they wrote, thick books, even more crammed than that chapter, phew.  So I guess I would take issue with the like two paragraphs they are given in the breezy article. 

I never heard of two of two of those guys but I certainly know of Sartre whose girlfriend Nelson Algren craved, and Wittgenstein is one of my favorites even though I have never read a word he wrote.  The thing is philosophy is not science or math, these guys don't have to prove anything they say, it's a lot like what Old Dog refers to as bar talk,  Sartre was a big time commie, Unlike most non-Russkie commies I don't think he broke with Stalin over the pact that he made with Hitler, but wiki tells me that he did criticize their abuses in the satellite countries.  Wittgenstein was a member of the Vienna Circle that gave us Godel, so he was kind of mathematical,  I believe the Tractatus was vaguely about putting language into mathematical terms.  It was a tough book, widely praised by other philosophers at the time though few claimed to understand it or even to have read it all the way through.  And then the guys says, you know what, everything I said in that book is untrue.  Well thanks a lot Ludwig,

No comments:

Post a Comment