Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Thumbs up

I have discussed the matter with other bus drivers, and the consensus was that 10% of the kids cause 90% of the trouble.

That sounds about right, and I've seen those numbers used in other contexts although sometimes it's 20/80.  In basic training one of the sergeants used to impress upon us that 10% of the ammo will be duds, 10% of the guys in the unit will be duds, 10% of everything will be duds, and on and on.  I think this is one of those rules of thumb that has been exaggerated over the years but it still has a ring of truth.

Years ago there was a series of books titled Rules of Thumb, an anecdotal collection of little pearls of folk wisdom.  I should dig out my copies since I've forgotten most of them except for this gem from Japan: if your turds float you have too much fat in your diet.  That's the kind of thing I'm not inclined to  forget.

-----

I think to some extent we like to believe in good vs evil, we like to believe in democracy...

Yes, but I think we have become delusional and unrealistic in our expectations, often applying a double standard.  The deafening noise, masquerading as information and news, has reduced us to a confused and frustrated mass no longer able to think clearly and make rational decisions.  Some of us, not all, but enough to keep the circus train rolling down the tracks.  I don't know where I want to go with this, that's how screwy it all is.

"They're all crooks."

I suppose they are, to one degree or another, but that's the dark reality of the system and the money that is required to attain office.  Maybe this is changing.  I don't know how much money the guys in Pennsylvania spent on their campaigns or whether the biggest spender won.

And I see that there is a primary in Illinois on Tuesday and except for the free-for-all among Democrats for governor I don't know who is running for what.  Probably a bunch of judges or water commissioners; they usually fill up most of the ballot.  I should pay closer attention to these matters.

-----

As a final word about automatic weapons, there are organizations that sponsor "shooting days" where, for a fee, you can blast away to your heart's content.  Plan on needing deep pockets; a few moments of visceral joy will cost about $100 and much more than that for the larger calibers.  Let's see, 600 rounds per minute, $4 per round...that's gonna add up quickly.  Some people still have more dollars than sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment