Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2018

ice cream will always be with us

First of all I want to congratulate Beagles on his new sharp looking font.  The best thing I like about is that it is black and not that stupid dark grey that blogspot seems to favor, God knows why.  Whenever I cut and pasted some Dawg comment I had to not only adjust the size and put it in italics I also had to turn it from grey to black. 

Uncle Ken has expressed the opinion that there is no way to stop these mass shootings, so we shouldn't even try. 

Like this, all I had to do was put it in italics.

I believe Beagles does me a disservice.  In the very next  sentence does he not quote me as saying that I believe banning repeating firearms will slow the shooters down?  To me that is doing something.

Yes, I believe school shootings like mental illness, the poor, terrorism, drug addiction, inclement weather, and gun nuts, will always be with us.  We can seek to make them less bad (except for the gun nuts, because they are, well, nuts), but they will never be eradicated, to pretend otherwise is to be dishonest.  

"The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing."

We see this trotted out whenever anybody wants to defend their case,  It can defend a good case, it can defend a bad case.  Haven't we humans said we have been fighting evil as long as we invented language, and last I looked evil is still with us.  And aren't the people doing the most evil the ones who think they are doing the most good?

And in the end I won't get my repeating rifles ban because of the gun nuts, and Beagles won't get any programs for arming teachers or diverting police or having retired coots set up their deer blinds in school hallways because it costs too much money.  And then after the next shooting both sides can trot out their arguments again and pretend that they are doing something.  And what about that concert in Las Vegas and that theater in Boulder, and that gay bar in Miami?  What are they, chopped liver?

The whole thing makes me weary.

So are you guys gearing up your ice cream machines for the upcoming long hot summer?  Any exciting new innovations?  I am all ears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment