Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2018

Cops in Schools

I read in our local paper the other day that neighboring Inland Lakes Schools has stationed a policeman in their school buildings during all times when school is in session. The school district only has two buildings, and the cop will split his time between them. Inland Lakes serves the community of Indian River and the surrounding area. Indian River is not incorporated as a city or village, so they do everything through their township government. Tuscarora Township has its own police force, which is unusual for townships around here. Last I heard they only had three or four officers, and now one of them is being assigned to the schools full time. Their chief told them that he can spare one guy for now, but he will want him back when school lets out for the summer because that's his busiest time of year. The school district managed to come up with almost $15,000 to fund this program till the end of the school year and plans to look for a permanent funding source after that. They had a meeting with the public, and everybody agreed that they needed to do something right now and work out the details later. 

Cheboygan had something like that for awhile but, last I heard, it had been discontinued, and I don't remember why. I saw on the TV news this evening that Kalkaska Schools are doing something similar. In this case, I believe that their county sheriff is donating one of his deputies, they didn't say anything about funding. Like with Inland Lakes, this is only temporary until they can work out something permanent for the long term.

In all three cases, the cops are not only there to ward off a terrorist attack. They also will be looking out for any other illegal activity in the schools and teaching drug and safety classes in their spare time. I have never voted for a school millage in my life, but if this one came up, I believe I would vote for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment