Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

That's News to Me

I read Old Dog's link about machine guns, and it was news to me. The last I heard, sometime in the 1960s, gun collectors were allowed to own military weapons of historic value, but they had to be permanently rendered incapable of firing, which usually involved welding the action or the barrel shut. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the article, but I am a little confused about the bill that was passed in 1986. Did the gun have to be manufactured before or after 1986? The article seems to say "before" in one place and "after" in another, but that might have been just a typo.

I'm also confused about this mental health thing. I suspect that those people have more control than they let on, but I can't prove that. Back in the day, when a person did something really stupid, people would say to them, "You keep that up and the men in the white coats gonna come take you away." and it often caused them to reconsider their actions. I doubt that telling them, "You keep that up and they gonna make you talk to a counselor ." would have the same effect. I remember one kid on my bus bragging to me, "I've been to lots of counselors. They couldn't do anything with me, and you won't be able to either."

Uncle Ken tells us that rubbing elbows with all kinds of people is good for a person. It seems like the experts are always telling us what is or is not good for us these days. If I liked rubbing elbows I would still be living in Chicago instead of the Beaglesonian Swamp. As long as I obey most of the laws and don't bother anybody, I will decide for myself what's good for me. Thank you very much.

From my experience working for the Cheboygan Schools, I can tell you that kids act differently in the classroom than they do on the school bus. God only knows how they act at home. I have been told that tending bar will teach you more about human nature than going to college. Since Uncle Ken has done both, he surely knows more about that than I do. Although I have never tended bar, I used to frequently attend bars in my younger days, and I can tell you that people act differently in bars than they do in other environments. If you want to study human behavior in the wild, drive a school bus.

They are still running old "Hee Haw" reruns on cable channel 231 RFDTV. I think they run them on the weekends, either Saturday or Sunday evenings. I tried to look it up, but my TV guide menu only covers a couple of days forward. I'll try again when the weekend gets closer, and let you know the time slot. They might also be available on DVD, but I don't know that for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment