Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2018

No Compromise!

A long time ago, before Old Dog joined our illustrious body, increasing our membership by 50%, Uncle Ken and I were discussing gun control legislation. At that time, Uncle Ken only wanted to ban assault rifles. I don't think he even knew the difference between a semi and a fully automatic until I explained it to him. I was willing to go along with that, provided that "assault rifle" be clearly defined so as not to confuse it with other semi automatics. Uncle Ken then upped the ante and wanted to ban all semi automatics. I then explained to him that some manually operated actions can be fired almost as fast as some semis, with more accuracy. Upon hearing this, Uncle Ken decided that he wanted to ban all repeating firearms, declaring that single shots are all we need for hunting and target shooting.

While that may be true, that's not how a compromise is supposed to work. A true compromise is where we start at two opposite points and meet in the middle. Uncle Ken's version of a compromise is where he keeps advancing and I keep retreating until he has gotten everything he originally wanted, and then some. I see now why the gun nuts don't want to give an inch of ground to the antis.

"And in the end I won't get my repeating rifles ban because of the gun nuts, and Beagles won't get any programs for arming teachers or diverting police or having retired coots set up their deer blinds in school hallways because it costs too much money." - Uncle Ken
Au contraire, mon ami. They have had armed cops in the Maryland schools for some 20 years, and I know of a couple of Northern Michigan school systems that have recently deployed them. I didn't know about the ones in Maryland until I read that article, so there may be more of them that I don't know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment