Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

the kids are alright

I think the schools are the people in them, what are they otherwise, just big piles of brick.,  I don't know about the wild horsing around mobs that infest the halls of Cheboygan schools, but  my experience subbing in Chicago schools is that the kids are alright and will do just fine without cops inspecting hallway passes.  It's a zero sum game so the more cops you have in the schools the fewer cops you have patrolling the mean streets.

I don't like home schooling for a number of reasons,  the main one being that most of the people doing it are doing it because they don't want their kids to learn anything that isn't in the good book.  Secondly it's probably poorly done in most cases.  Takes a lot of effort and dare I say skill to teach and how many people are going to do a good job of it?  And thirdly I like the mixing, rubbing shoulders with your fellow man, I think it's good for people.

I don't see anything happening on the school front.  The plans that the gun nuts put forward to distract people will cost piles of money (why don't they put that money into teachers and books and better buildings?) and nobody is going to want to pay for it.  I think after an initial splash of press, the NRA is showing it's strength.  One troubling thing for the NRA has to be that gun sales are way down,  A couple stores are refusing to sell monster guns so that's good.  Gun control is polling high among the masses so the dems should be able to ride that for a congressional district or two.

Rustic philosopher sounds nice.  Remember Hee Haw where they had like a country version of everything like the Empty Arms Hotel, and radio station KORN, and that poet Claude Strawberry, a rustic philosopher would have fit in fine, I imagine you whittling on the steps of the county courthouse while a bevy of Hee Haw babes lounge around in their shorty shorts waving their legs in the breeze to your pronouncements,  Damn I miss those Hee Haw babes in their shorty shorts.  Sigh.


Did Siskel walk off the show because he didn't like same movies as Ebert?  And why don't we have something like that show anymore, even a kind of crappy one with a couple guys in arm chairs and a screen showing film clips?  Maybe there's something like that on YouTube, but you know there was something special about a show that was on at a certain time and if you didn't arrange your life so that you would be there to watch it well then, tough shit,

I like comedies just fine, mostly the darker ones because I am a gloomy Gus.  I have seen animation I like but  I think Old Dog would have to admit most of it is abysmally stoopid.  Horror can be okay if it's kind of artsy like those South Korean movies.  Romance (romcom) and musicals I have no truck with.  Mostly I don't like genres, the western, the detective story, things like that.  Not that these can't be good, but mostly they are just ragbags of cliches.  Like Harlequin romances there is a list of things the viewer expects to see in them and as long as all the stepstones are stepped on the guy feels like his price of admission is well spent.  I sort of like weird movies.  I give points for something different tried even if it doesn't work. 


Tillerson was just another oil man to me, but he did seem not to be a moron, which is a rare thing in Trumpland.  Now we have Rocket Man and the dotard deciding the fate of the world.  If we could get Dennis Rodman to join them it would raise the average sanity of the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment