Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Is Hoog THEM?

I beg to differ Beagles, I pay a lot of attention to stuff and yet I am able to put in three hours of painting in the morning, an hour or more writing my post, a leisurely lunch, a nap on my LaZboy covered with cats, 40 minutes at the gym or a two hour walk, a leisurely supper, a crossword puzzle and the Jumble, and two hours of generally trash tv, and then off to knit the raveled sleeve of care.  With all that I still have time to read a couple newspapers, watch some tv news, and read some internet news.  So what does Beagles do all day? 

Despite all this I don't recall haring about The Swine Flu Fiasco, even though I lived through it in 1976.  I was spending a lot of my time then tending bar and sitting on the other end of the bar, so that may have something to do with it.  Fortunately there is the internet.  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/long-shadow-1976-swine-flu-vaccine-fiasco-180961994/

The swine flu did not kill more people than the flu did.  450 people did come down with GBS after getting the vaccine, but they were more likely to come down with it if they got the flu.  It was clearly a big waste of money, (though not as big a waste as putting a cop in every school), 1976 was an election year and politics was involved.

But even if The Swine Flu Fiasco was not as big a debacle (killing people) as Beagles makes it out to be, it was a debacle.  Sometimes the experts fuck up, but in general they have a better record than some people, and now I notice they are mentioned, and I wonder if they are the fabled them who are pulling all the strings.

Nobody believes everything anybody says, but remember, Boog, some people know more than others, and if you are seeking advice it's better to go to Boog than Hoog.  Beagles has a tendency when presented with two opinions to give them equal weight and shrug his shoulders, what's a fellow do to?  When the mechanic tells him he needs an oil change and the guy on the next bar stool tells him to paint the truck yellow, he doesn't know which way to go

I'm glad he is getting his flu shot next year though.  I wonder if Old Dog got his.  Where is he?

No comments:

Post a Comment