Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

TLA explained

Old Dog's family discussed the Oxford comma over Thanksgiving?  Oh my I wish I could have been there.  What was the consensus?  Any interesting viewpoints?  I still remember the time a young woman grammar maven sat down in the geezer corner of the Ten Cat and we had a nice grammar conversation, but then she never came back for some reason.


The Liberal Agenda and The End of the World.  I am not trolling here I am laying out what I believe.  I'm not even saying I am necessarily right, there will be plenty of things the dawgs can disagree on, and I am sure they will for is that not the nature of The Institute that I have recently chronicled?  By the way, does anybody have anything to add to that?  Also  by the way I just tested that right click on dawgs, and it worked fine.  Actually that is what I always do when writing emails and stuff in Word, but on the blog I have been using that little ABC thing in the upper right, which now, even after I have added dawgs to my dictionary, still refuses to recognize it.  I won't be using that anymore.

When I stated that 1. in the liberal agenda was that all people should be equal, of course I meant in the eyes of the law. That would certainly include the right to vote, and I would add the right to live where they want and the right to apply for a job, the latter two are a bit squishy and I'll get into them later,

2.  By economic equality I mean a fair distribution of wealth.  The worst case would be one guy owns everything and everybody else has nothing.  The best case would be that everybody has the same amount.  Of course the latter case will never happen, there are all kinds of forces in the economy, and probably the economy works better if some have more than others, but The Liberal Agenda (TLA), wants the distribution to be more equal than it is.  Mainly TLA is for helping the poor, and the money to do that is going to have to come from those with more, preferably the richer of them.

3, Sometimes you have to pass laws to move things forward.  That's where TLA meets resistance.  Most people generally agree to 1 and 2, but they don't like laws that might impinge on them.

We seem to have made great strides in 1.  At the beginning of the country only landholders could vote, then all white men, then all men (though other laws had to be passed to enable Blacks in the Jim Crow south to vote), and then women too.  Gays could always vote, but they had plenty of discrimination against them which has largely evaporated,though I don't know if the moral righteousness of TLA or the popularity of Will and Grace are more responsible for that.  Now TLA has gotten into transgender issues,which okay I have to agree they should have their rights too, but I sometimes wish we wouldn't get so strident about it.

We seem to be losing on 2, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer at an accelerated rate.

3. As I said, is where TLA runs into trouble.  Technically there weren't any laws impeding Black people from voting, living where they wanted to, having an equal chance at jobs, but practically speaking they were barred from all three so laws had to be passed to bring that about.  That battle is still being fought today.

In The End of the World I will get into why right now it looks like TLA will never get implemented and I will get into that later.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment