Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Lasagna, too

Wonderland by Night is another one of those tunes on my iPod and it's always nice to hear when it pops up on shuffle play.  There are a couple of live versions on YouTube and I started to wonder what ever happened to Bert Kaempfert so off to Wikipedia I went.  He was a much bigger deal than I expected and was quite the star in Europe but never seemed to catch on in the states.  Although exact authorship is disputed he is supposed to have composed the music for Strangers in the Night, made popular by Frank Sinatra (who didn't like the song even if it was his biggest seller).  And while in Hamburg, Kaempfert hired the Beatles as a backup band for another singer for a recording gig.  This is when the Beatles made their first studio recordings.  Maybe they weren't really the Beatles yet since they lacked Ringo but who cares?

I don't know what it is about those 1960s German musicians; another song I have is A Walk in the Black Forest by Horst Jankowski.  Quite a catchy tune.

-----

Tomorrow I'll be off to my sister's place for Thanksgiving.  Instead of a full turkey she's going with just a turkey breast but I talked her into snagging a drumstick; I like that dark meat.  Oh, there will be lasagna, too.  Some family traditions can get a little strange.

I'll be bringing some fresh cornbread which I'll bake tomorrow morning.  There is a recipe by Alton Brown that looked good but I had to hit the supermarket for some of the fixings, like all of them except for baking soda.  At least I have a cast iron skillet that's in good shape and well seasoned.

Since it's been a while since I've done any baking I thought it would be sensible to bake a test batch, which I did earlier today.  It turned out well and I didn't screw up the recipe but I think my taste buds are losing their mojo.  There wasn't as much of the corn flavor that I expected but it could have been the ingredients.  I wanted to get some of the hoity-toity organic corn meal but all the store had was the Quaker brand, all the good stuff was sold out.  And to save a few pennies I bought the store brand creamed corn instead of a name brand like Del Monte.  I am a sadder man, but wiser.  Perhaps the subtle flavor will be appreciated tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment