Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Swing to the Left, Swing to the Right

I thought that the Liberal Agenda was a done deal, and that the current swing to the right represented a reaction against the excesses of it. I don't think that most conservatives want to go back to the bad old days, they just want to let some gas out of the bag before it overinflates and pops, kind of like what the stock market people call a "correction".

I'm not so sure that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. I know that's what many people are saying, but I wonder if they are just repeating what they have heard others say. I'm not prepared to argue the numbers but, anecdotally, there were certainly times in history when poor people were starving in the streets, and I don't think that's happening now, at least in the developed countries. I understand that there are some people who feel that the latest recovery has passed them by, and that many of them expressed their frustration by voting for Trump, which may be what turned the election in his favor. I doubt that Trump is going to do these people any good, which may cause them to swing to the left in the next election.

There probably is more to be said on this subject, but that's all I can come up with at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment