Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Opening Day 2017

I've had better Opening Days, and I've certainly had worse Opening Days so, all things considered, this one was pretty good. I saw two deer, one didn't give me a shot at all, and the other one presented a chancy opportunity, and I let it walk away. It was a small deer anyway, and I didn't relish the prospect of trying to track it through the trackless swamp in the pouring rain. I guess I'm getting soft in my old age. It rained most of the night, and the Weather Channel predicted that it was going to rain all day, which it mostly did. As luck would have it, the rain quit for a half hour just as I was leaving the house, enabling me to walk out to my blind without getting wet. Coming home at noon was a little more difficult, but I walked fast (for me) and made it home in half the time it usually takes, leaving my outer clothing a little damp, but not soaked through. In between I took advantage of the good sleeping weather, waking up just in time to see those two deer.

I don't claim to be an expert on the Trinity, all I was trying to do was make sense out of the extensive information I found on Wiki. I had never thought of Jesus as the Communicator before, and was always puzzled by that opening line in the Gospel According to John, "In the beginning was the Word....and the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us." If you think about it though, Jesus was the interface between God and Man, being consubstantial to both (according to the book). I could never see the necessity of the Holy Spirit before, since God is already a spirit, but maybe that's the whole point. I think the King James version uses the term "Holy Ghost", but the Revised Standard and most subsequent translations say "Holy Spirit". Technically the terms are interchangeable, coming from the Greek word for "breath" or "wind", but "ghost" has taken on some connotations in modern times that might make it seem kind of malevolent, while "spirit" remains benevolent and benign in public usage. I learned the Apostle's Creed in Elsdon back in the 50s, and it says "spirit", so I would hardly call the use of the term "new-fangled".

Got to go now, morning becomes Electra, and I can't count on the deer letting me sleep in peace tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment