Search This Blog

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Into the pool

Do they change your stats on your drivers license?

Sure, at least they did in my case.  Weight changes are pretty routine and they didn't challenge my claim that I've shrunk a bit over the years.  I don't know if eye color changes are a regular thing but I suppose it's possible.  My eyes were blue until the age of six, I think, and then they became green.  It's funny that of all the times I've talked with Uncle Ken I couldn't tell you his eye color.  In fact, eye color is one of the things I am least likely to remember about anyone unless it's really weird or memorable; my usual attention to detail fails miserably in this case.

-----

Like Mr. Beagles, I am a big fan of laser printers.  I have two, one is a black and white machine I fished out of a dumpster at a former workplace.  It makes a horrible noise when printing and will only print from the auxiliary paper tray but it works well enough otherwise and will be dumped when it runs out of toner.  The other printer is a color Samsung unit I got about six years ago; it's a beauty and was cheap at the time, less than $150.  But I hardly ever print anything these days, except for the annual tax forms.  The printers just sit in an out of the way place under dust covers and will work perfectly the next time I need to use them.

Inkjet printers are quite a racket to sell ink, all printers require their own special cartridges and that's why the printers are so cheap and sold well below their manufacturing costs.  The companies make money selling ink, not printers.  Look at the old typewriter ribbons, they were universal and would work in any typewriter except for some rare models.  Good thing, too, as they are still available.  I have an old Remington portable and the ribbon is still good but it's nice to know I won't have a problem getting a replacement if I need one.  Someday I'd like to show up at the local Starbucks, start typing and teach the kids a history lesson.  I wonder if they know what a typewriter even sounds like...DING!  A whole bunch of folks using portable typewriters would be a joy to behold, a reminder of the good old days when offices used to be loud, at least around the typing pool.

-----

Someone has said it this way: If you try to explain the Trinity, you will lose your mind. But if you deny it, you will lose your soul.


That's the best quote I've found; the concept of the Trinity is too damn confusing to me.  Maybe there's a fourth aspect of the Godhead that hasn't yet been revealed, hidden away in scrolls below bombed out ruins of the Middle East. 

No comments:

Post a Comment