Search This Blog

Monday, November 27, 2017

The Liberal Agenda

That sounds like a pretty good Thanksgiving Beagles.  I think I have related mine, and now we just have to hear how that drumstick and lasagna went over. 

The more I think about it I don't like and etc.  It has a certain folksy ring, but that's not necessarily a good thing.  I think it's the abbreviation that's the snag.  Originally I was speaking of the qualities of corn muffins (Oh and how did that cornbread turn out Old Dog?), the moistness, the texture, the tang, etc. It's just too abrupt.  I think if I substituted the full word things would go better: the moistness, the texture, the tang, etcetera.  That sounds and looks much better.

Can you believe that the blogspot spellchecker does not recognize etcetera?  I swan that is the worst spell-checker I have ever encountered.  Its vocabulary is tiny, and there is no way to add a word to its dictionary. 

I was going to go on about grammar, the strange apostrophe after numbers like in B-52's that I once abhorred, but anymore I have come to accept.  Why follow some arcane rule of grammar and have the odd looking B-52s, when you can free yourself from the chains of antiquity and silly decorum and have the snappier and easier to read B-52's?  I could champion the classy Oxford comma over the awkward and obfuscating non-Oxford comma, but for some reason it doesn't raise the passions that I always think it should.  I could bring up phonetic spelling, but anymore I am surrounded by fogies who don't want to change anything.

But it occurs to me that there is a phonetic spelling thing going on right under our noses now.  I refer to the thumb clicky clacking which good old  wiki has a name for, SMS.  Here you find phonetic spelling, but also letters and numbers used for words, and those annoying acronyms that you just have to learn by rote,  But it may be being replaced by those things where you speak into your phone and your phone translates it into letters.  Well I don't know what I'm talking about here,m it all goes on somewhere beyond my universe.


Okay then let's talk about something I know about, The Liberal Agenda and The End of the World.

The Liberal Agenda:
1.  Everybody should be equal.
2. Economic equality is a goal worth striving for.
3. Sometimes you have to pass laws to move these things forward.

The End of the World
1. The Liberal Agenda is stalled.
2. The very people it is meant to help are rejecting it in favor of the current regime
3. This is happening across Europe too, the lamps are going out and who knows if we shall see them lit  again.

To be continued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment