Search This Blog

Friday, November 24, 2017

I'm Okay - You're Okay

I haven't posted lately just because I couldn't think of anything that I wanted to say. I have been reading the posts of my colleagues, and they seem to be covering their subjects well. Uncle Ken is doing a good job summarizing the history of the Institute. I suppose I could take one of his points and run with it, but I just don't feel like it.  Maybe later.

Thanksgiving at the Inn was very nice. They had a buffet with turkey, prime rib, ham, salmon, and more sides than you could shake a stick at. The boyfriend insisted on paying for everything. He gets some kind of employee discount, but it still couldn't have been cheap feeding five people in a place like that. He's been working there for some time and everybody knows him. After lingering over dinner, we went into the hotel lobby and sat visiting before a big gas fireplace. The Inn is about the oldest building in Bay Harbor, dating back to 1990s, and the rest of the village seems to have grown up around it. There are fancy looking condos, a yacht harbor, several restaurants, and I don't know what else. A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there, even if I could afford to, which I can't anyway. We were able to park close enough that we didn't have to use the valet parking service.

I think the "and" is already included in the "etc." I don't know a lot of Latin, but I'm pretty sure that "et" means "and", as in "Et tu Brutus?" The "c" is an abbreviation of "cetera" which, I assume means something like "more stuff". I also seem to remember seeing it spelled "&c" in old fashioned texts.

I have seen clips of the Black Friday frenzy on TV, and it doesn't look like anything in which I would want to participate. I don't care how much money I could save, it's not worth being trampled by a rabid mob. Here is the probable origin of the term according to Wiki:

The earliest evidence of the phrase Black Friday applied to the day after Thanksgiving in a shopping context suggests that the term originated in Philadelphia, where it was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic that would occur on the day after Thanksgiving. This usage dates to at least 1961. More than twenty years later, as the phrase became more widespread, a popular explanation became that this day represented the point in the year when retailers begin to turn a profit, thus going from being "in the red" to being "in the black".

No comments:

Post a Comment