Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

More than half

As deer season draws to a close I was wondering if Mr. Beagles had any success and if there is a newly dressed haunch curing in the shed.  When the subject of hunting comes up I tend to wander through YouTube looking for interesting videos and I found some relating to airguns but these aren't your Red Ryder BB guns of yore.  Airguns have gotten very serious, with large calibers, and can be used to take down larger game.  Some guys in South Africa used them to take down warthogs and the slugs penetrated cleanly, through and through, much more quietly than a firearm.  Interesting, I thought.

-----

The Thanksgiving conversation about the Oxford Comma didn't proceed very far.  It started when my sister mentioned the proofreading she has to do for her job at Loyola Law School.  Those professors write a lot of articles and papers and she has to clean them up sometimes.  I asked her about the Oxford Comma and she is fully in favor of it, as is her daughter, the elementary schoolteacher.  My nephew, the rising star at Air Canada, thought it was goofy but his sister showed him the light and he came around to acknowledge it's superiority.  The other three at the table made no comment, probably not having any opinion one way or the other and the issue wasn't forced.  So it ends up with four out of seven Thanksgiving diners firmly in favor of the Oxford Comma, a better outcome than I expected.

-----

I don't know about the Liberal Agenda, I suspect there is less than it appears.  It seems to me that as people communicate and travel more they become increasingly liberal and tolerant.  More thought is required before I draw any conclusions.

Likewise, the distribution of wealth requires more thought on my part.  Some guy is always going to be the richest and some other guy (poor sap!) is going to be the most impoverished.  Too many factors are involved, some yet unidentified, for any quick or glib answers.  But if you visualize wealth as a bell-shaped curve I think it is skewing to the poor end.  And then I think about the relationship between wealth and power and how little I understand about either.  I'll be taking my time.

-----

The Sexual Harassment Scandals of 2017 continue unabated; today Matt Lauer of NBC and Garrison Keillor of NPR fell as the latest victims.  Okay, victims may not be the right word but I wonder where this is all going.  Are we entering a new era, as the pendulum swings, or is it simply an abuse of power?  Some men can be terrible at reading signals from women, and none of the principals were accused of groping and fondling strangers on the street (to my knowledge).  Some folks might say that none of this would have happened if the ladies didn't wear so much makeup and dressed like whores, but not me.


No comments:

Post a Comment