Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

THRRRRUMMM, ding!

I don't  know what to say about  Old Dog's num lock experience. I have it on all the time and the only thing it effects is that little square number pad on the right of the keyboard.  If it's not on what I get is these little directional arrows that move me about  my document.  But I also have a set of dedicated arrow buttons between the regular and the numbers keyboard, so this whole thing seems not very efficient.  I'm guessing it is a legacy issue.  I wonder if Old Dog has some kind of super high-tech keyboard (he is the type), that has a more efficient layout with not so much redundancy.  It seems like at one time redundancy had a bad name for being wasteful, but lately it is making a comeback because it is easier and safer.

Still I would like to see some changes made to the keyboard, mostly with capitalism.  Down with capitalism, run down the running dogs of Wall Street, bring on the Worker's Paradise.  Oh, I'm sorry, I'm not talking about that kind of capitalism, I'm talking about the shift-key kind.  Those shift keys are just not in good positions I particularly have problems with the shift-i combo to get the capital I.  You may have noticed that sometimes i call myself i.  It's not because I am being humble, it's because my fingers have trouble spanning both the i key and the shift key.  I suppose I could not talk about myself so much, but c'mon be reasonable, also I suppose there are bigger problems in the world, but you know the whole thing about why certain words are capitalized and others aren't is a tangled web with roots in the past and is an enemy of clarity.  There,
I've said it (another thing sometimes i hit the enter key instead of the shift key and suddenly I am on a new line).  I have made my stand.  I can do no other.


It may be as a result of being Welch's swigging Methodists that none of my family knew anything about wine.  At Christmas and Thanksgiving, when the day called for something a little more than Welch's, what we invariably served was Mogen David.  Well, it wasn't sour like that other stuff in the supermarket.


I hate to admit it, because I hated my ROTC uniform, but I did like my boy scout uniform, i did think I looked sharp.  I don't think i cared much about impressing chicks in those days, and when i did i lost the uni.  It occurs to me though that I must have gone through several uniforms since I was a growing boy.  Speaking of which do either of the dawgs remember when they first realized that they weren't going to grow anymore?  Bummer bummer.  When I was in the lower grades I was a short kid, but somewhere around fifth grade i hit a growth spurt, and my aim was to be six feet.  Who doesn't want to be at least six feet?  I made it to 5' 9 1/2", maybe 5' 9 3/4" on a good day on a friendly scale, but I always tried to pass as 5' 10", and I think I got away with it.  I was at the doctor's last week and I am not even 5' 9".


Having never been in the army, I probably ate my last shit on a shingle at ten years of age.  At Herrin Hospital where I dd my CO, they did have black-eyed peas.  I saw these shaggy beans with dots on them and asked, "What are them 'ere funny looking beans?"  The belle behind the ladle replied, "Why young man I do declare, those are black-eyed peas."

They were ok.  When I was in Texas everybody ate them New Years Day for good luck.  I don't know that I had any particular good luck, but like I said, the peas tasted ok.

You know I just now hit some combination of keys, prolly a function key was involved, and I could've lost all of this narrative if I had been inattentive.  Speaking of keyboards, or more properly, word processors, I wish they had a version where it acted just like a typewriter with no function keys or fancy dancy key combos, and when you hit the enter key it would make a thrum and a ding like the carriage return used to.  I wonder if they could attach something you could actually shove back.  It was fun.  Admit it.

I just rode the google machine and apparently there are several places in Chicago where you can get SOS.  I don't know though.  I can see where maybe you could cook it so it didn't taste too bad, but it doesn't seem like there would be a way to cook it so it tasted really good.


Come to think of it, what was baptism all about?  Was this because of original sin?  I think it used to be a big deal with the Catholics, if a newborn was sickly they had to get it baptized quickly or I guess it would go to hell, more likely purgatory.  When they banished purgatory where did all those people go?  As I recall. from the kids at St Gall, it was a pretty bad place, and likely you would be there for thousands of years, because who is going to pass through the pearlies all snow-white?  On the other hand most likely everybody is going to be there, so how bad can it be?

Seems like the Methodists didn't make a big deal out of it, but I know we believed in original sin because that is where I first heard about it.  I don't remember us ever talking about the trinity.  I imagine it came up in Sunday School and the teacher talked through it real fast and afterwards asked if there were any questions but didn't wait long for them before moving on to something else because who wants to bring that stuff up again?

No comments:

Post a Comment