Search This Blog

Monday, November 27, 2017

Lost liberal bona fides

There was no turkey breast with drumstick at my sister's place.  Well, there was but it was part of a whole turkey; economics was a factor.  My sister is sensible and discovered that the whole bird was cheaper than the separate parts, so she went with that.  Except for the lasagna the rest of the menu was classic Thanksgiving: mashed potatoes, cranberries, glazed sweet potatoes, dinner rolls, and string beans.  No stuffing as I recall; it may have gotten lost in the switch from turkey breast to whole turkey.  The cornbread was well received unless I was being lied to, but there wasn't much left afterwards.  And three kinds of pies for dessert, with two types of homemade ice cream.  Good eating for our small group of seven.

No heated arguments, but not much alcohol either.  We did, however, discuss the Oxford Comma.  My niece brought her new boyfriend around for the first time and nothing was made of the fact that he is from Lebanon.  Maybe it was that bottle of Lebanese wine he brought, or that he was in the army.  Which army I don't know and didn't ask, but he seemed like a nice guy and joined the conversations.

-----

I don't want to disparage Uncle Ken's memory but I remember his jalapeno/cheddar mini-muffins, his first effort I think.  They looked a little odd and I asked him if he used a muffin tin for the pleated paper muffin liners and he said he didn't.  I lost interest when he said he used a box mix instead of baking from scratch.  Where's the fun in that?  Box mixes are perfectly acceptable and often yield better results but there is no risk, no chance at failure.

For such a simple food cornbread can be very tricky in that it can crumble and fall apart easily.  Recipes are all over the place with varying ingredients and baking instructions so it can be a challenge to sort it out according to your own taste and preferences.  I like that kind of stuff but I've eaten enough cornbread for now.  Next time I bake I think I'll add some bacon bits.

-----

Sorry, Uncle Ken, but I think the first two points of your Liberal Agenda are nonsense unless they are poorly stated.  Everybody should be equal?  What does that mean when there are so many differences in people?  I accept that everyone should have equal opportunity and be treated equally under the rule of law, if that is what you mean.  And I have no idea what you mean by economic equality; please elaborate.

But given your penchant for the art of the argument I realize you may be simply trolling to get the juices flowing in your fellow Beaglesonians.  I'm reminded of one bit of advice from the old UseNet newsgroups: Do not feed the trolls.

-----

Even though we are in a mid-season hiatus The Good Life has been renewed for a third season, a little extra something to be thankful for. 












No comments:

Post a Comment