Search This Blog

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Thursday morning roundup

There is a show on the murder channel where after the foul deed is done, the cops track their last movements by the ubiquitous cameras outside shopping malls and  Al's tap.  They spot a perp and they check his stories by all the cameras along the route of his alibi, and eventually justice is done.  It is a little alarming to see how you can be seen from seemingly everywhere, but on the other hand what do I care if They know when I go to the Jewel, or even if there is a little slip in my step as I slip out of the Ten Cat? 

I'm with Beagles on the issue of coupons. I'd rather have coupons for stuff I buy than for stuff I don't.  I kind of hate coupons though.  I feel like a fussy old man when I go through my pockets and then have to wait while the cashier scans them, and all the while the people in line behind me are wondering what is taking so goddamn long.  I know that because when I am behind a fussy old man with his coupons, I am tapping my feet and rolling my eyes.

Same thing for those ads on like fb for something I googled yesterday.  A little creepy I admit, but where's the harm?  I never click on them though because I kind of don't trust them, and you know how it is, an innocent click can lead you down a rathole.

As Old Dog points out though there is a problem with health insurance.  The Liberal Agenda calls for basic healthcare to be available for everyone, and insurance companies naturally would rather insure healthy people, so they give them cheaper rates and to balance that out they raise the rates on unhealthy people, so right away the healthcare is not equal.  That's what's good about Medicare, everybody over 65 gets it, and they all pay the same.   

I remember Senor Wences, I enjoyed it when I was young.  I wonder how well it would play today with that heavy accent?  I don't see anything that improper with using a heavy accent, but the politically correct crowd do.  There is an element of making fun of the people with that accent, but I think intelligent people can see past that.  But what about unintelligent people?  And what about outright racist people?  It seems like this is one of those slippery slope things.

I don't like the whole slippery slope argument.  It seems like you can take some perfectly ok action or statement and then point out that it is on a slippery slope to something and therefore it is not ok.

There was an incident lately when one pundit asked another if he was out of his cotton picking mind, and it caused a big brouhaha because the other guy was black.  It would have been perfectly alright if the other guy was white.  Are we supposed to use a separate set of idioms depending on the color of the guy we are speaking too?  I'm giving the guy a pass on it.

In another incident DeSantis, who is running against a black guy for governor of Florida, said that we don't want to have him monkeying around with the great Trump economy.  In the context of a lot of racist shit going on in that election, I am less likely to give him a pass.  But still it didn't seem to be such a big deal, but then I wonder in the face of calling Mexicans murderers and rapists, and claiming that a lot of immigrants are members of MS-13, I wonder why my ilk is supposed to play fair when the other side does not?

That anonymous oped seemed like a big deal to me when it first hit, but the result seemed to be that the Trumpists are not disturbed while the antit-Turmpists are even more outraged, so what has changed?

I'm having my opening this Saturday, and Ruby Dew is coming from St Joseph tomorrow and will be staying with me so I won't be posting on Friday.  Carry on without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment