Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Kavanaugh Has a Cow

From what I've been reading, it appears that Kavanaugh really blew it.  Whether or not he is indeed guilty as charged, he has made a fool of himself on live TV, which can't have done him any good in his quest for confirmation.  Then again, Trump is always making a fool of himself in public, and he managed to get himself elected, so anything's possible.  I don't know how the FBI or anybody will be able to get to the bottom of this case in one week with all the hysteria that has been generated by both sides.

Speaking of cows, that bovine creature in the video is probably a steer, since it doesn't appear to be carrying either cow or bull equipment.  It looks to be of the Charolais breed, which tends to be on the large side, so it's probably pretty young, which might explain its playful nature.  The only reason I know what a Charolais looks like is that I used to work with some guys who raised cattle on the side, but I have always known more about agriculture than the average Chicago kid.  I had some exposure during my hunting trips with my father and I used to want to be a farmer when I grew up.  Too bad I never grew up.

When I was about 16, we were deer hunting on a dairy farm in Carrol County, Illinois.  The farmer let us camp near the house, and he would come by in the evenings and hang out with us.  One time he was complaining about how his neighbor's cattle were always grazing for free on his property because the fence was in a bad state of repair.  The next day, I spotted the trespassers, shooed them back across the line, and patched the fence the best I could with available materials.  When I told the farmer about it, he almost had a cow himself, worrying that the cattle I had shooed might have been his own.  I said I was certain that wasn't the case, since his cows were all Holsteins and the interlopers were all Guernseys.  The man was impressed that a city kid would know the difference, and said we were welcome to hunt and camp on his property anytime.  We did come back the next year, and my cobbled up fence patch was still intact.  Apparently it was as good as the rest of the fence because the farmer hadn't found it necessary to improve on my handiwork.  

No comments:

Post a Comment