Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2018

Marching on

I wish Old Dog would explain in his own words this Chinese AI social reputation thing, whenever I read one of those articles my head needs scratching.

A head scratcher, indeed; I've read so many articles on the subject that I'm starting to confuse myself.  I've reviewed some of the older links, found some new ones, and it's becoming a little more clear to me.  AI is just a part of the Chinese program which is still a work in progress, not to be fully implemented until 2020.  If I fully understood all the implications of the social credit/reputation system I could put it into my own words but I don't and I can't.  Until then, this newly found link may help.

-----

Puke on a hot radiator, Mr. Beagles?  That's a hard topic for follow up on but it shows how olfactory memories can be deeply embedded in our minds.  I remember the first time I was in a high school gym and I thought it smelled like grilled onions in a cheap diner.  So now when I'm in a cheap diner I think of high school gyms.  It's odd how odors can trigger memories but sights and sounds don't, at least not to the same extent.  I can be walking down the street and I'll catch a whiff of something and think, Damn!  That reminds of the little store next to the tavern in my old neighborhood near Humboldt Park.

-----

Public protests and demonstrations aren't a new thing, especially in big cities and folks in Chicago are doing it a little differently recently.  There is a trend to blocking streets and expressways; this weekend there were a bunch of folks screwing up traffic near O'Hare airport in a protest against gun violence, I think.  Their cause may be righteous but I think they're in the wrong location; not a lot of shootings in that area and I don't think they'll be making a lot friends.  They'll get some attention but not accomplish much in the way of stopping gun violence; it's a problem in certain areas, areas in which they don't seem to want to hold their protests.  But this is a sticky topic, one in which I am ill informed so I will shut up now.

-----

Has Mr. Beagles put up his firewood for the upcoming winter?  I've read that this year will be colder than the last but I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment