Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Lo! I Am With You Always

I'm still here, I've just been lurking in the shadows lately.  Youse guys aren't boring me, I just couldn't thing of anything to say that would be of mutual interest.  Here's something:

There's been a lot of hubbub in the news lately about that anonymous story about Trump.  Has it occurred to anyone that the whole thing might be fake?  I mean, there is a lot of fake stuff out there since we've entered the Post Truth Era.  Of course that doesn't man that everything is fake, but it kind of makes me wonder.  What possible motivation could a high end White house staffer have to publish something like that?  If he was trying to make Trump look bad, well that ship sailed a long time ago.  If he was trying to make himself look good, then why did he go anonymous?  If he was trying to assure the public that everything is under control, I don't think that worked.

You know what? This reminds me of an old sailor song that I learned from a tape that somebody gave me a long time ago. The group was called "Starboard List".  They had some great traditional seafaring songs on there, but I don't think they ever put out another recording.  I have not heard anything about them before or since.

"You can pass all your days in the dories, boys, pull with the worst and the best,
But don't ever sail with old Engelman, boys, each trip you go could well be your last.

Don't you remember Cape Ann, boys, don't you remember Cape Ann?
That crazy old fool was a loser, boys, he never cared if he ever laid in.

And don't you remember the shoals, boys, don't you remember the shoals?
The Old Man asleep at the wheel boys, and Lord it was black and cold.

And don't you remember Cape Ann, boys, don't you remember Cape Ann?
You'll never catch me on a trawl again, it's surely no life for a dog or a man.

Well the mate was a man with a goal, boys, got the Old Man away from the wheel.
He took him below and he locked up the hatch, and threw all the booze o'er the rail.

And don't you remember Cape Ann, boys, don't you remember Cape Ann?
You'll never catch me on a trawl again, it's surely no life for a dog or a man."



No comments:

Post a Comment