Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2018

Chicken Too Now?

Some years ago, we noticed the label on some frozen fish we had bought: "Wild caught Canadian whitefish, produced in China".  We wondered exactly what that meant until we saw a show on PBS about Greenland.  They explained how Cod that was caught off the coast of Greenland was flash frozen, guts and all, shipped to Red China to be filleted and packaged, and then shipped to markets in North America.  You can do that with fish, provided that you process and re-freeze it quickly, but I doubt that it would work with poultry or mammals.  I know from my experience with hunting and farm butchering that, the quicker you get the guts out and the skin off, the quicker the meat gets to cool down and the better it tastes.  Most of the reported "wild taste" of wild game is due to improper and/or untimely cleaning.  I don't think you can flash freeze a warm blooded creature with hair or feathers still on it like you can a fish, but I could be wrong about that.

I have posted about this subject before. I believe my original wording was: "I don't care if those coolies work for free, the shipping and handling costs should more than cancel out the savings in labor cost."  Don't forget, this stuff would have to be kept frozen all the way to Red China and back.  The shipping containers would have to be refrigerated and well insulated. I don't think just packing the stuff in dry ice would cut it.  Call me paranoid, but I think this is not just about money, there are some political axes being ground here.  I don't know who is doing the grinding, but I doubt that it's Trump, since the fish thing has been going on for a long time.  Trump might be on the right track with those tariffs but, if it was me, I would put an embargo on all trade with Red China.  I have been saying that since Nixon lifted the old embargo, and nothing that has happened since then has caused me to change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment