Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2018

Close the door!

I had to go to YouTube to remind myself how good Senor Wences was; his act was conceptual in a way unlike all the other ventriloquists of the day.  Great stuff, and I forgot he was also a juggler and plate spinner.  The Johnny character was creepy to me, but the guy in the box always cracked me up.  I thought his name was Mr. Head, that's what I called him but after watching some videos I learned his name was Pedro.  S'Awright?  S'Awright!  Close the door!

Senor Wences struck a responsive chord in my fellow fourth graders.  On the Monday following his appearance on Ed Sullivan's Sunday night program a lot of us would draw eyes on our hands and try to outdo each other with our wit and skills.  None of us were any good but we still got some laughs out of it.  I never outgrew the practice of drawing eyes on my hand to mimic Senor Wences in my times of boredom although I haven't done it in years.  The gag still works even if I've never used lipstick or a little wig and body to get the full effect.

-----

So, when did cyber become a noun?  Until recently cyber was strictly an adjective; you had cyberthis and cyberthat but not cyber as a stand alone noun.  I think the first time I heard cyber as a noun was in a statement by the renown wordsmith Donald J. Trump and I attributed the usage to plain ignorance, his stock in trade.  But since then others have used it as a noun, most recently John Kerry in an interview with Rachel Maddow.  I can't wait until someone uses cyber as a verb, like "We're going to cyber the shit out of this investigation!"

-----

Quite a while ago I recommended a movie to Uncle Ken and then later reconsidered, figuring that Uncle Ken wouldn't like The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.  I was fine with rescinding my recommendation until I read this, and now I don't know what to think.  I watched it again, still like it, but not everyone else will think it's worth viewing.  A select few will, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment