Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Montgomery Clift, The White Shadow, and sun-dried tomatoes

I wonder in what way I would go awry if I used google and my security settings were not tuned just so, especially considering that if I have security settings I don't know anything about them.  Perhaps I started awry and the buffeting of the net has made me un-awry. 

Drieser is kind of a clunky writer.  He says more than he needs to say and often in an awkward way, and as you read you are rolling your eyes a bit, but then you find yourself drawn into the story.  In the book the Montgomery Clift character is not related to anybody in the rich family, he just works his way up by hook and by crook.  Along the way he meets the shop girl and he enjoys carnal pleasures with her, but I am not sure if he is ever like in love with her.  When he has a chance with the Elizabeth character the little shop girl is in the way, especially since she is pregnant.  As in the movie, and I thought the movie did this well, he is never entirely sure he is going to do her in, but he inexorably moves in that direction.

I didn't really notice Montgomery Clift, but I thought Shelly Winters did a good job.  I don't know about chemistry between her and Clift, it wasn't like there was a burning love between the two, just two young people looking to get ahead a little bit.

Burt Reynolds was known for playing roles beneath him.  If you liked those sort of movies I guess he was okay, but I was not a fan.


Of course a lot of folks have claimed the book is fiction, certainly the Orangeman himself, but he hasn't been able to stick to that line long enough to put any force behind it, and so neither have his henchmen,  Also the fact that Woodward has tapes and witnesses to back up what he says may have something to do with that.  I don't think this is a case where you can say oh, it's all a lot of fake stuff so it's impossible to know what the truth is.  Here we have a case where we have a prolific liar on one side and on the other we have a respected writer, all of whose books have been true.  Whose advice are you going to follow to fix your tractor?  The drunk on the next barstool or your mechanic?

Oh sorry, just went back to Beagles's post and now I realize that he is talking about Anonymous rather than The Book,  I don't think we can doubt that someone in the Trump administration wrote the oped, though we don't know where in the organization.  And from everything we have heard about the current white house it has the ring of truth.  If motivation is a concern one needs only to go back a few posts to find me fingering the white shadow.  If he gets the ball rolling towards the 25th amendment he becomes president.  Is that motivation enough for you?  Of course it is kind of a dimwitted plan, but is not Pence a dimwitted guy?  And I can't mention this enough, if worse comes to worse, he cannot be fired.


Old Dog was kind enough to attend my opening, and had some things to say about my muffins.  I admit they are a sore for the eyes.  They look nice coming out of the oven all golden brown, but by the time I cram them into Jewel potato salad containers and haul them to the Ten Cat they are not pretty.  The tomato bits in them are sun-dried tomatoes which you can get dry or packed in oil (with herbs).  Packed in oil is better and is what is in the muffins,  I have dimly been aware of sun-dried tomatoes, but now that I have made their acquaintance there will be more use of them in my sanitary kitchen.  Old Dog recommends bacon bits, but I don't know, if you put in bacon that is all anybody thinks about.  I am thinking black olives and tomatoes for the next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment