Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2018

Movie talk

Alright  then Old Dog, Buckaoo is in my queue,  For the most part I've liked Old Dog's recommends (what, reccommends as a noun?).  The one with the guy who drinks milk, I liked, though that Asian shoot 'em up, not so much.  Not at all actually.  I rather wished that I was watching it with someone else so I could have turned to them every fifteen minutes and said isn't this stupid?  It was just bang bang bang, maybe an occasional car chase.  And for all that thin material it wasn't logical, holes so big you could drive a tank through them.  Actually there was a tank in it I think.  Maybe that was the point of it. I don't know.  I was not amused. 

Here's a recommend (there I'm doing it again.)  A Place in the Sun.  I usually don't go for those 50's movies, too clunky, too obviously under the thumb of the Hays Code, but sometimes there is the charm in the way they can only hint at things, like the scenes where the lovers exchange smoldering glances and reach out to each other and then the scene is over.  Maybe that last one is good, I'm not a fan of those extended love making sequences.  Anyway it's based on Drieser's An American Tragedy, and it follows the book closely enough..   And there is a teenaged Elizabeth Taylor, and Shelly Winters as a tough talking shop girl, and towards the end Raymond Burr shows up as the prosecuting attorney. 

I have to wonder if that role led to Raymond Burr becoming Perry Mason.  What I liked about those Perry Mason shows, not so much the trials, as the part where a series of suspects are presented and some of them are nice people, and some of them are not so nice, and like as not the bad actors are innocent and the nice person is the guilty party.  I used to like Law and Order, because at first they did that in their first sequence, but later they would always have one of the suspects insult the cops and then you knew he would turn out to be the killer.  I didn't go for courtroom confessions, or the way that Perry Mason won every single fucking decision though.  If he lost even say, one in ten, there would have been some suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment