Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

From a Deist Perpective

"If God does not speak to people where did the ten commandments come from.  If we can only speculate about what He wants, we might as well speculate without Him, who needs Him?  If He refuses to talk who cares what He wants?" - Uncle Ken

In a manner of speaking, the Ten Commandments came from God, but not in the way most people think.  Moses was trying to forge a mighty nation out of a raggedy bunch of tribal nomads. He went up on the mountain to think about how this might be accomplished. Some time later, he came down from the mountain with the Ten Commandments.  He may have prayed to God about it, and then an idea formed in his mind, the mind that God had given him.  Moses might have believed that his inspiration came from God and, in a manner of speaking, it did, but it is unlikely that God dictated the Ten Commandments to Moses the way that a corporate executive would dictate a letter to his secretary. 

I don't know for a fact that God has never spoken directly to people like it says in the Bible.  All I know is that God has never spoken to me like that, so I view those claims with suspicion.  Logically, if God wanted to tell me something, He certainly could do it without relying on a third party to relay the message.  When a third party claims to have a message from God for me, he is asking me to accept it on faith, but not faith in God, faith in the third party messenger.  An agnostic is somebody who isn't sure whether or not he believes in God.  I believe in God alright, it's my fellow man that I'm not so sure about.

The rest of Uncle Ken's quote raises an interesting question.  At this point I'm not sure how to answer it, but I may come up with something by tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I'll cop out by answering the question with another question:  Why would anybody not care what God wants?

Last I heard, the Jews were still waiting for the First Coming, but the Hindus believe that Vishnu has been here a bunch of times, and that Jesus was only one of Vishnu's many incarnations, so it's not just the Christians who believe in a Second Coming.  I think the Muslims believe in some kind of apocalyptic event, but I don't know if it involves Jesus.  As I understand it, they believe that Jesus was a prophet, but not the Son of God.  

Face Book is like huge, I suppose you could find any kind of content you want there.  It all depends on who you follow, and you don't have to follow somebody just because they are on your friends list. Also, if you "like" a post, or respond to it in any way, that type of post gains priority in your news feed and you will see more of it in the future.  




No comments:

Post a Comment