Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

wascally wabbit vs white whale

You know the dim view I take towards third parties.  I like to use the nautical example.  You're in a canoe floating down Moonlight Bay when you realize that up ahead there is a fork in the river, and both sides lead to rapids.  Luckily you have the lame stream media camped on the fork and they're sending you reports on the two rapids which you are watching on your sooper dooper phone.  Since no two rapids are alike, take my word for it, what you want to choose is the rapid that will be the nicest to your birchbark.

There are two possibilities, either you can figure out which rapid will be mildest or you can't.  If you can, you choose that one and the case is closed.  If you can't you might as well toss your oar into the sky and scream protests to God for putting you in this position, not that God cares because, like everything else, it is part of His plan.  So that's the way I see voting third party, tossing your oar into the air and complaining to the powers that be, who could care less.

But, in the case of Beagles and those two newspapers, I consider supporting Gary and the 'Tarian! Boys, a half vote for the big girl.  At least it's not a vote for Trump.  Not that it matters at all since the last time I looked at that Nate Silver site: http://fivethirtyeight.com/politics/elections/  Michigan, while not as blue as the great state of Illinois, is blue enough to keep the big girl from tossing and turning in her big brass bed.


I think Old Dog's quote speaks to my theories of objective reality, though I am having a little trouble unpacking it.  I think the distinction being made between lying and bullshitting is the difference between bending the truth and denying it, with the former being lying and the latter being bullshit, and the slant of the writer seems to be that lying is better than bullshitting.

And I couldn't agree more.  The example I was using in my objective reality rant was whether or not a tree of a certain height was in my backyard, but in this political context a better example is whether the candidate said something or not.  For instance in the case of last night's debate the subject of Dumbo's quote about how women who have abortions should do time, Pence simply said that Trump never said it.  That would be bullshit.  If the big girl had said something like that her argument would be something along the line of it depends on what the meaning of is, is.

I didn't expect much out of the underwhelming debate and I didn't get much.  It was all, as the pundits had predicted, Kaine jabbing Pence with stuff that Dumbo had said, and Pence batting the accusation away and changing the subject to the big girl.  Pence did get in a lot of those Trump never said that whoppers (bullshit), but that seems to be par for the course this season.

Both guys did a lot of interrupting and talking over each other and the poor moderator and ignoring the questions that were asked.  I have to say that my guy was ruder than the other guy.  Kaine was sort of a wascally wabbit to Pence's bland smooth white whale.

No comments:

Post a Comment