Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Tapes? What Tapes?

It was indeed during my Bircher days when all that Watergate crap was going down. Lots of people were wondering why Nixon didn't just destroy the tapes, or why he even had them made in the first place, and I thought the Birchers' theory made at least as much sense as anybody else's. Of course it was just speculation, but I don't think those questions have ever been definitively answered to this day. The reason I brought it up is that it's the earliest memory I have of somebody deliberately making a tape or video of themselves doing something wrong, although it seems like people do it all the time nowadays. Okay, maybe it's not all the time, but you can't help but notice when something like that hits the news, and you have to wonder what they were thinking. You also have to wonder why those TV people kept that Trump tape all these years. It was recorded by mistake and wasn't used in the interview. Why didn't they just erase that part of it?

I don't think the Republican establishment can dump Trump at this stage of the game. He was duly nominated by a majority of the delegates at the convention, and I don't know how they could un-nominate him now. Similarly, I don't know what the procedure is for replacing a candidate who dies or becomes incapacitated before the election. I seem to remember there is something in the constitution about that, but I couldn't find it tonight. I also don't know how the Republican Party could get rid of the people who support Trump. If they are card carrying party members, I suppose they could be expelled from the party, but that wouldn't stop them from making speeches and stuff like that.

I haven't spent a lot of time in locker rooms either, but I remember hearing guys talking like that about women, and not just in high school either, but of course they didn't talk that way when women or children were present. I always wondered if the women talked the same way about us when we weren't around, and I think at least some of them did. My hypothetical wife used to work in a factory that was mostly women, and she said that the girls on the midnight shift would put a drunken sailor to shame. There was a guy that I knew in the army who came up here to live after he got out. He got a job at that factory, and they put him on midnights because nobody else wanted it and he was low seniority. He quit after a week or two because he couldn't take the sexual harassment that those women were dishing out. Of course they didn't call it "sexual harassment" in those days because that hadn't been invented yet, but that's what it would be called today, and those ladies would be in big trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment