Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Locker Room Talk

 You don't have to be in a locker room to hear locker room talk. It's just a figure of speech that refers to the way guys talk about girls when there are no women or children within earshot. Maybe they don't do that anymore, you couldn't prove it by me, but I know some guys were talking like that at least until 1990 when the paper mill closed down. Actually, by the time the mill closed, there were women working in all the departments, so we were seldom in a situation where there were no women around but, when we were, guys still talked like that. I don't remember hearing a lot of that in the bus garage, but there were women there too, so we had to watch our mouths. Plus, we were accustomed to being around kids, and you really had to watch your mouth with them because they would gleefully repeat anything you said like that to their parents, and then you would be in big trouble........ or so I have been told.

I don't remember hearing a woman use the word "relationship" to refer to what goes on between men and women until after the mill closed, and I don't believe I've ever heard a guy use that term except on television. We used to say that we were "going" or "going out" with somebody in polite company, or that we were "fucking, hammering, or nailing" her in impolite company. I don't know how the young people talk about each other today, but I suspect they talk differently amongst themselves than they do when adults are around. I don't remember ever hearing anything exactly like the Trump quote that Ken cited, but that's probably because I don't know any stars. For all I know, stars might be able to get away with kissing strange women and grabbing them by the pussy, but if anybody I knew tried something like that, I'm pretty sure there would be unpleasant  consequences.

It seems that Rule 9 pretty well covers what happens when a presidential candidate is eliminated from the race, but I didn't see anything there that says he can be arbitrarily removed at the will of the committee. Maybe that's in Rule 10. As far as what happens if the president elect dies before Inauguration Day, that is covered in the U.S. Constitution, Amendment XX , Section 3. The vice president elect steps right in, the same as he would do if it happened after the inauguration. If it's the vice president who kicks off, the president names his replacement, but it also has to be approved by congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment